Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs or activities, including discrimination based on pregnancy or related conditions. Rancho Santiago Community College District is committed to providing a safe and equitable environment for pregnant students. This includes providing students the opportunity to make up any coursework and credit missed due to medical needs.
PregnancyPursuant to Title IX, the District is required to treat pregnancy, childbirth and other related conditions in the same manner and using the same policies or practices that would apply for students with other temporary medical conditions. The Colleges offer reasonable accommodations to those students who miss class due to a medical condition; students who miss school because of pregnancy or childbirth are entitled to the same reasonable accommodations.
Such accommodations may include:
- Not penalizing a student for any absences the student's treating physician deems medically necessary.
- Returning students to the same academic and extracurricular status as before their medical absence or leave. This may include allowing students to earn back the credit or makeup missed work.
- Making reasonable adjustments to a regular educational program such as a larger desk or frequent trips to the restroom.
- Requesting medical documentation to participate in any program only if the program also requires such documentation from students with temporary medical conditions regarding medical accommodations or needs.
- Requests for accommodations should be made to the appropriate contact identified below.
Whom to Contact
Students with questions regarding requests for accommodations and support may contact Disabled Student Programs & Services.
- SAC (714) 564-6264
- SCC (714) 628-4860
All other questions may be directed at the Title IX Coordinator at (714) 480-7404 or email@example.com